The StarGuard ELITE (SGE) Lifeguard Training course teaches participants the skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies and is required to become a certified lifeguard at the Carbon Valley Parks and Recreation District.
Participants will become certified in StarGuard ELITE Lifeguarding and American Safety and Health Institute basic first aid, CPR and AED training. Certification is valid for 1 year from the last day of the course.
StarGuard ELITE Prerequisites:
- 15 years of age by the first day of class
- 100-yard continuous swim using freestyle, breaststroke or the combination of the two
- 50-yards without the rescue tube
- 50-yards with the rescue tube across your chest and head above water
- Retrieve a 10-pound brick in 12 feet of water using a feet first surface dive
- 1-minute of continuous treading water without using arms
All lifeguard candidates will be required to complete approximately 7 hours of online blended learning content prior to the first day of the course. Candidates will not be allowed to participate in the lifeguard training course if the online content is not completed in advanced.
According to the certifying agency, StarGuard ELITE, this certification is only valid at the Carbon Valley Parks and Recreation District for those who are 15 years old. Transfers of the certification to another SGE agency may be considered once participants become 16 years old. Employment with the district is not guaranteed.
Classes are typically offered during the following times:
- Winter break (late December/early January)
- Spring break (March)
- Late May/early June
- Early August
- Thanksgiving break (November)
Fee: $85 District residents, $128 non-District residents